Recent blog updates

Shown here are only posts related to timeout. You can view all posts here.

My "timeout" project is now on GitHub

In course of development of our Driver Verification project we needed a reliable resource limiting script. At first it was supposed to simply limit one process in time and memory consumption, so I downloaded a simple script I found via Google, and used it in our project.

As the time went, the script grew with more features. We found out that it doesn't take child processes into account, and I made it to doing so, rewriting the script completely (in Perl instead of Shell). We needed to collect the CPU usage statistics, as well as limit it, and my peer added such functionality to the script. We needed to detect deadlocks by observing that the processes controlled are stalled, and this was added as well.

Now the time limiting script is a feature-rich and a simple solution for controlling resource consumption of a black-box program. Therefore, I decided to make a separate project from this script alone, because, as far as I know, there's nothing like this script out there, available as open source.

The project is hosted at GitHub; you may download it from there, as well as from its homepage hosted here.

The initial article that described how the script is implemented was also updated to reflect the latest findings and usage experience.

In a nutshell, this was just an announcement of my first own small open source project. I doubt it will get much traction, but let's see how it will go...

Read on | Comments (2) | Make a comment >>


More posts about timeout >>